In after-hours trading, last day, Vaxart Inc. (VXRT) gained 5.79% to $8.40 on the charts. Valxart stock rose nearly 1.93% on Thursday to close at $7.94. The VXRT stock fluctuated between $7.60 and $8.00 during regular trading. VXRT stock is rising not because of relevant news but because retail investors are showing an interest in vaccine stocks.
VXRT is volatile for what reason?
Using its proprietary delivery system, Vaxart is developing a range of recombinant vaccines for oral administration.
- Tablets are used for administering VXRT vaccines, making them easy to store and ship without refrigeration and eliminating the risk of needle-stick injuries.
- VXRT believes that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable for the delivery of recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to design recombinant vaccines for new indications and to design oral vaccine versions of marketed vaccines.
- In its current development program, VXRT develops tablet vaccines for prevention of coronaviruses, noroviruses, influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
- VXRT has also developed a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), its first immuno-oncology indication.
- In addition to filing domestic and international patent applications, Vaxart has designed and developed adenovirus-based oral vaccinations, which use TLR3 agonists.
VAXART plans to begin phase 1/2 testing of its variant-specific candidate vaccines in the third quarter and begin phase 2 testing of its oral COVID-19 vaccine candidate within the next few months.
A few variant-specific candidates will be moved forward into clinical trials this year with the help of Vaxart’s lead oral COVID-19 vaccine candidate. Additionally, the company is embarking on clinical trials for a norovirus vaccine at an early stage.
A look at VXRT’s performance:
During the last five days, Vaxart (VXRT) stock has gained 10.74%; however, the stock has gained 16.76% in the past month. In the last three months, VXRT shares rose 19.94%, and so far in 2021, the stock is up 233.22%.